The BBC provides all its iPlayer television content through Adobe Flash (once Macromedia Flash). This is a program, called a plug-in or Add-On, that allows BBC television and radio programmes to play in your web browser. If you are on Windows 8 this is built into your system, so you don't have to install anything. If you are on Windows 7 or earlier, then if you do not have Flash correctly installed then you will not be able to access any BBC iPlayer content. This page tells you how to install Flash. The instructions are for Microsoft Internet Explorer only.
You must install Flash for Internet Explorer not Flash for Firefox - they are separate things.
How to install Flash
If you need to install Flash for Internet Explorer you need to and run a Flash installer program from Adobe. It installs something called the Flash ActiveX Add-On, or Flash Player, or Shockwave Flash. You have to find the installer on the Adobe Flash website. I can't host it here for you, because then it'll never get updated.
You can test your installation by going to this YouTube link: if you hear Alasdair speaking, your installation worked. All you have to do is go to the page. YouTube Flash Test.
Fixing Flash if the installer does not work
Many people have problems getting Flash to work on their machines. Here are some solutions you can try if you run into difficulties.
- First, download and run the Flash Player Uninstall program from Adobe. They keep moving it, so I can't link to it: Adobe website for uninstalling Flash.
- A restart of your machine would not hurt.
- Now install Flash again from the Adobe website - Adobe Flash website.
- If that does not work, try uninstalling Flash, then opening Internet Explorer and deleting your cookies. Start the browser, then select the Tools menu (Alt and T) and Internet Options. On this first General tab is a button labelled Delete (Alt and D) - press that. In the new Delete Browsing History window press the Delete cookies button (Alt and O.) Restart Internet Explorer and try installing again.
- Finally, the Adobe help page for helping with Flash installation is here: Troubleshooting Adobe Flash Player for Windows. Good luck!