This simple application opens PDF files as plain text. This makes it easy to read them with a screenreader. You can also save files as text documents so you can read them easily later.
Getting PDF Reader
PDF Reader is free. You can get it from the link below. You have to run the setup.exe file that you get from the link, and everything will be installed for you. You will then have a desktop shortcut called "PDF Reader" you can use to start the program. You can also find "PDF Reader" in your Start menu.
- Installer for PDF Reader Install this Windows Installer MSI file to install PDF Reader. You will also need the .Net Framework 4 Client Version, which you can obtain from the Microsoft site.
- Easy to use, just open a PDF using the standard File dialog. You can also make the program the default PDF reader (handler).
- It works with every screenreader, from Thunder and NVDA through to JAWS and WindowEyes. It even works with the built-in Windows Narrator!
- It uses big, clear 16pt text and line-and-a-half spacing so people with a little sight can use it without needing a screenreader at all.
- You don't need to be an administrator to install it, and it automatically updates itself, so you don't need to know much to keep it running - I'll take care of all of that from the WebbIE website.
- It's completely free. Go ahead and distribute and use it as you will.
- It uses the open-source pdftotext.exe program from foo labs so it's essentially a nice GUI around that program. It has the same abilities and limitations as their program.
- PDF passwords are supported, but only for some older types of PDF security (e.g. PDF 1.3 40-bit encryption).
- You need to be on Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista Service Pack 2, or Windows 7 Service Pack 1. 32- or 64-bit versions are all supported.
- The Microsoft .Net Framework 4 Client Version is required, but the installer should take care of all of that for you.
- It's signed by Claro Software Ltd - thanks for their support.
- If you need help, call me on +44 7983 244 131 or Skype me on Alasdairking. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org but you're unlikely to get a response: this isn't my day job!
- 3.1.1 17 March 2014
- Fixed a bug with PDF file handling (so now right-click will give you Open With)
- Fixed a bug with the colour change option (text was the same colour on another colour)
- 3.1.0 14 January 2014
- Added a colour change option so you can set foreground and background colours for maximum readability.